Friday, March 23, 2012

My Connections to Play

What play represented for me in childhood - Quotes
I am often accused of being childish. I prefer to interpret that as child-like. I still get wildly enthusiastic about little things. I tend to exaggerate and fantasize and embellish. I still listen to instinctual urges. I play with leaves. I skip down the street and run against the wind. I never water my garden without soaking myself. It has been after such times of joy that I have achieved my greatest creativity and produced my best work. ~Leo F. Buscaglia, Bus 9 to Paradise


Children's free play eludes precise definition, but it typically is pleasurable, self-motivated, imaginative, non-goal directed, spontaneous, active, free of imposed tasks or adult-imposed rules, and requires active participation. Randy White

http://www.whitehutchinson.com/leisure/articles/84.shtml


Essential Play items



Mud, pots, pans, spoons, cups, and more mud.


  Playing with dolls and playing house.





When I was little I remember my mom giving me the tools that I needed to play.  I remember the endless time I played outside with my cousins making mud pies and creating a drive through restaurant. We learned to negotiate the price of the mud food that we created and roadways for the bikes to go around to the "window".  All my play was reenacting things that I had seen in day to day life or things that I had experienced.

I feel that play is different today for children because they are not able to play uninterrupted.  Children are rushed to produce something.  Children are not out playing in neighborhoods because parents are more cautious and worry about the safety of their children so they are not allowed outside as much.  I hope that young children will be able to experience play outside for endless hours of exploration and dramatic play.  Outside play can be done in a simple back yard that is set up with the proper tools, sandbox, sand toys, climbing trees, water features etc.  

I think that the role of play in childhood is important to prepare us for play as adults.  We remember the fun we had climbing hills and rocks so as we get older we want to climb bigger hills and rocks.  We need to have play in our lives so that we can remember to stop and enjoy where we are in life.    









2 comments:

  1. The classic mud pie- every child should have that experience! I agree with your thoughts on how children today have little chance for uninterrupted play, and how "its just not safe" for children to play outside with the neighborhood kids, for various reasons. I sometimes wonder if adults reflect their own need to accomplish, produce, and own onto children, instead of recognizing that children don't need to produce and they don't need the newest toys and gadgets. A mud pie will do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. Mud is Gods greatest toy. A bit of water, some sticks rocks and leaves - and voila - instant fun!
    Each year we have at least one child who is reluctant to get dirty or refuses to even dip a finger in paint. But with a lot of patience and modeling they always end the years making creative messes with the best of them!
    If you haven't yet, check out the book Joe's Cafe by Rose Impey. It continues to be a favorite for my kids and me. The story is wonderful and the illustrations are lovely.

    ReplyDelete