Saturday, October 20, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World

When I think of having a new family start in our program that is new to this country I feel that I want to help them and their child transition into to the program with as much ease as possible.  A family who has recently immigrated from India would be culture shock for them to come to the United States.  I know nothing about India so in order to prepare for their arrival I would learn some key words and phrases that may help us communicate and understand each other a little better.  I would do research on the culture and religion of India so that as a staff we keep in mind their cultural beliefs and adjust our holiday celebrations to include the new family or to respect them when they are not able to participate.  This will also help me to think of alternative celebrations or themes for the classroom. I would also research the beliefs that the people of India have about children and early childhood education so that I can have a better understanding of what the parents may expect from me as their child's teacher.  I would also try to find a translator who could be present during our initial meeting to go over any questions about the program they may have and that I may ask questions about their religion, traditions and culture so that I can have a better understanding.  I would also look at my curriculum and environment and adjust it to include information about India and the culture so that the family will feel welcome to come in and share about their family with the classroom.

I hope that these preparations would help me to become more aware of the culture of India so that I can create a welcoming environment for the family and their child and that I would have also prepared the other children and families to welcome them to our program as well.  I would hope that my preparation for the family would help them to feel welcome and see that I am making an effort to get to know them and to understand and respect their culture.  I would hope that they would feel comfortable in communicating with me about the program and about their child's success in school.  I would hope that they would also feel comfortable enough to also come in and volunteer in the classroom of come in and share with the class about their culture.

My main goal would be that they feel included and welcome.  Ultimately this is what is important for the child so that they feel that they are part of the classroom and that their culture is respected.   


6 comments:

  1. It may be challenging, but I agree that it is important to find out what the "norms" are for early childhood education in the family's country of origin as well as inviting the family in to share with the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,
    Inclusion should be every educator's primary goal. In order to understand the family and attend to their needs, teachers have to research the children's background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,

    I never thought about researching the early childhood programs and their practices from "my country." Their ways and expectations may be different than how things are done here in the US. Thanks for that point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    Great idea about learning phrases from the family’s language. Researching the country’s value on education to gain an idea of the family expectation of the program is vital. Great points!


    ReplyDelete
  5. We as educators should have an open heart for children and their transition. I'm sure you will be able to adapt to India with no problem and give them what they need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie,

    Thank you, for sharing your insights and feedback on my blogs
    posts. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete