Saturday, July 14, 2012

Outdoor Play: Research that Benefits Children

Children today are being pushed to meet academic standards so that they can succeed later in their academic  career and in life.  Sadly this affected how much outside free play a child is able to have where they can explore and learn as well.  I know that children treasure their outside time and want to play in the sandbox, ride a bike or climb a tree.  Many advocates are getting to word out to preserve outdoor play and that the natural outdoor playground can also be an extension to the classroom learning environment for all ages.  

Outdoor play is important to children's development at all stages.  I came across an advocacy group on line that has done research on the importance of nature and outdoor play for children.  The Children and Nature Network is working to reconnect children with nature.  They have an area on their site that has research that has been done to show how nature and the outdoors can positively affect children cognitively, socially, emotionally and spiritually.  In the Special Reports and Collection area there is a report that has a lot of research information that is called "Children's Contact with the Outdoors and Nature: a focus on Educators and Educational settings."  It is important that we remind parents, educators and policy makers that children need to be outdoors in a natural environment because this will affect their learning in a positive way.

I find the research on the positive affects on children who are able to play freely outdoors in nature information that can help me as an early childhood educator better advocate for outdoor playtime for children and natural playgrounds for children. Outside time should be a big part of a child's day and the environment should be planned to meet their interests.

Links to information on outdoor play for children:
Children and Nature Network 
7 Reasons why Kids need recess
Young Children and Nature

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome topic to research! This makes me think of those commercials on t.v. that the NFL puts on encouraging children to play outside 60 minutes a day. I have seen others as well- but it makes me think... 60 minutes is not that long when we are looking at an entire day. I remember playing outside a lot longer than that when I was a child. It makes me see how much things have changed as far as technology and toys go. Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    You made a very good point that I think a lot of people are overlooking in recent suggestions to abolish play as a standard of learning-children really do love going outside and playing. I recall during my days teaching preschool how sad my kids were on days we couldn't go outside due to weather. And the ironic thing is now I'm working in an elementary school and I still hear the groans and "Awww!!!" if I have to tell them recess will be indoors, rather than outdoors. One thing that I appreciate about my school is that we do still have recess for our children everyday. Unfortunately, due to space limitations, outdoor and indoor recess are on a rotating schedule, but so many schools have done away with recess (and gym) altogether. That begs the question-where are we really going? If you want to argue to abolish play as a standard of curriculum, that's one thing but recess is entirely different. Where do we draw the line?

    ReplyDelete