Saturday, September 15, 2012

My Family Culture

A major catastrophe has almost completely devastated the infrastructure of your country.  The emergency government has decided that the surviving citizens will be best served if they are evacuated to other countries willing to take refugees.  You and your immediate family are among the survivors of this catastrophic event.  However, you have absolutely no input into the final decision or in any other evacuation details.  You are told that your host country's culture is completely different from your own, and that you might have to stay there permanently.  You are further told that, in addition to one change of clothes, you can only take 3 small items with you.  You decide to take three items that you hold dear and that represents your family culture.

The scenario of having to uproot my family and live an another country that had a much different culture than what I am used to would be scary at first but but I would have to put my self in the mind set that it would be an experience that I would have to keep my self open to accepting for the good of my family.  In having to choose three items that I feel represent my family and that are my most important items would be my Bible, pictures of my family and my wedding ring.

In explaining to others what these items mean to me;
  • My Bible represents my Christian faith.
  • My family pictures would be a visual reminder of them and help with family memories.
  • My wedding ring is important to me because it represents then family unity with my husband and the commitment to our family and each other.
If upon arriving I was told that I had to choose only one item to take with me I would be angry because of having to have already chosen only three items.  I would be difficult to have to decide when they are all so very important to me.
 
After doing this exercise I feel that I have learned that I feel strongly about my Christian faith and that I want to know my Bible better.  I learned that my family culture of having that Christian faith, being involved in church and attending Christian schools has helped to shape who I am.  The importance of family and commitment is also something that I value and want to preserve. 

6 comments:

  1. You know, I as I am reading these posts and as I have considered my own choices I am wondering now how to fly under the radar by carrying a small box (you know like the mystery boxes that you have to solve the puzzle to open) filled with small items.
    Would this be cheating?
    It also saddens me to think that there must be people out there that have nothing to bring - no treasures and no family.
    We are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,
      You are absolutely right! We are blessed. I though of the same thing as I was completing this assignment. If I can recall correctly, I did say that I was going to add two of my items in the inside of my scrapbook. I do not consider that cheating. I consider that to be thinking as a survival. :)

      Delete
  2. Julie,

    You are wise to carry the bible. I was thinking about the bible, but I figured I could purchase one in the new place. I did not even consider how hard it would be to find one in English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    We had one thing in common and that was the bible. My bible was the family bible that consist of family history and to remain of my christian faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    Religion is a strong element of culture. I have read three blogs where the bible is the number one item. I chose my bible because I would want to continue teaching future generations. This is also the strongest element of my culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,

    I also chose to bring my bible! This exercise has also helped me realize the importance of my Christian faith and the influence it has on my family. Attending church services and working in ministry is also an essential piece of my family’s culture.

    ReplyDelete