Friday, September 21, 2012

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

I talked with three people on what their definition of culture and diversity was.  The aspects of culture and diversity that I have studied in this course that I noticed in the answers were that culture is mainly the influences of the society or group that you associate with.  Some examples that I was given were the customs and beliefs of the people in your group, where you live, where you grew up, habits you have and food you eat are all aspects of culture.  Diversity was described as people being different but similar, different nationalities coming together.  The teacher I talked with said she thought of diversity when having a divers classroom where the children would be from different cultures around the world and she would incorporate this diversity into her classroom.  Another person described diversity as people having different ideas and living differently.

The aspects of culture and diversity that I noticed that they did not mention were the abilities of others and how that can be part of culture and diversity.  They did not mention class, age or gender.  I think that we have become a society that pays more attention to ethnicity and so the other areas do not stand out as strongly as ethnicity.  We also look only on the surface and see the holidays that are celebrated, food that is typical of a culture and other common traits.

What I have learned is that a teacher thinks a little bit differently than a person that does not work with children and families on a day to day bases.  I also noticed that the people I talked with each had a little bit of a different take on culture and diversity.  The young person called it customs and beliefs, the man saw it as everything around us that influences how we live and the lady in her 70's saw it as influences from where she was born and raised which was a different country.  Where we are currently can influences but where we may have come from also has a big impact on our perspective on culture and diversity.


Culture is the widening of the mind and of the spirit.
Jawaharlal Nehru

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/culture_2.html#Zbag4Hk6HHjgCFRV.99

6 comments:

  1. Julie,
    I completely agree a teacher does think differently than a person who does not work with children and families on a daily basis. Teachers are usually sensitive to these issues and try to be sensitive to all differences.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    Your responses were all similar to mines. I guess we all know a little about the culture and diversity but I've leaned that it really goes deeper than what I was initially aware of. None toe the individuals that I spoke with are teachers so I did not ask questions in regards to children. However, I did throw in the scenario where we had to relocate to an unknown country and they could only bring along three items. It was funny to listen to some of the things that were mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,
    As always, I find your post very well stated and informative. I too found many similarities in the information I received, and I tried to "diversify" the people I spoke with. I find it interesting, however, that not only did I not receive any responses related to gender, age or ability - even though I did attempt to poll people from a variety of each.
    Thank you for the insight!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    This is a great post. I agree that people's abilties also stem from their culture. Also, I find that culture and diversity is viewed differently by others. People tend to view culture from their own values and beliefs. Therefore, it is necessary to evaluate how others see culture and diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Culture is describe to how people are living. It's amazing how people come up with many defintions but they all mean the same. I only view culture and diversity as an individual values and beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie,
    I agree that our background and past experiences have a major influence on our lives. It shapes our present views on culture and diversity.

    ReplyDelete